Did you know that the islands that belong to the Kornati National Park were once full of sheep. The matter changed a few years ago, when jackals swam across the Adriatic Sea. That’s how they came from Lika to Dugi otok. From Dugi Otok, they swam across the strait between Dugi Otok and Kornat Island, where they ate the sheep and other livestock little by little.
In addition to the statements of the locals, there is also video evidence of this, where local people set up cameras and filmed the jackals in action during the night hours.
For more travel and trip inspiration, take a look at my Instagram.
The Kornati NP is part of the island group in the Adriatic Sea. They are about 20 kilometers away from the mainland.
The nearest larger cities and towns are Pakoštane, Murter, Biograd na Moru, Vodice, Šibenik and Zadar.
The Kornati Islands contain as many as 89 islands, islets and rocks under their name. It is interesting that only 25% of the entire area of the national park is land. The remaining 75% belongs to sea surfaces.
The entire area of the Kornati National Park is over 220 km2.
Kornati was declared a national park in 1980 and has been a protected area since then.
How to get to Kornati National Park?
Once you are in one of the nearby towns, there are organized tours in almost every town that lead to a full-day trip to Kornati. Apart from the above-mentioned Pakoštan, Biograd na Moru, Murter, Šibenik and Zadar. you can also find organized tours from Split.
I have selected several affordable tours for you here that you can book online:
- From Zadar: Kornati boat trip with lunch and a swim stop – RECOMMENDATION
- From Zadar: Kornati National Park and Telašćica boat trip
- From Zadar: Kornati and Telašćica Full-day boat trip with lunch
- From Biograd: Full-day excursion by boat to Kornati and Telašćica
- From Zadar: Kornati and Telašćica cruise with swimming and snacks
- From Zadar: Boat trip to Kornati NP with stops at Lavdara and Ugljan
- From Zadar: Full-day sailing to Kornati
- Zadar: Lojena Beach, Kornati Islands and Telascica Boat Trip
- From Zadar: tour of Kornati, Telašćica and Ugljan
- Kornati National Park and Telašćica Full-Day Boat Tour
See other trips to Kornati National Park HERE.
As for prices, you can expect excursion prices from €40 and up. The average price of a good and rich excursion, which often includes a meal, is around €60. There is almost no upper limit, as you can find offers for trips with luxury boats at a price of €2,000.
Tickets for Kornati National Park
Everyone who enters the Kornati National Park land or sea must have a valid ticket. Tickets can be purchased at the Kornati NP centers on the mainland or online. For more information on tickets to Kornati National Park, see here.
One-day and multi-day tickets can be purchased, as well as tickets only for the Kornati National Park and for the Kornati National Park in combination with the Telaščica nature park.
It is very interesting that you can also buy a group ticket that is valid for the national parks Kornati, Mljet, and the nature parks Lastovo and Telaščica.
Ticket prices purchased online are slightly cheaper than those purchased at the park entrances and information desks.
Let’s connect on Facebook!
What can be seen and visited in the Kornati NP
Lojena beach, located on the island of Levrnaka, is definitely among the most popular places.
On the island of Kornat there are the Church of Our Lady of Tarca, Fort Tureta, Magazinova Skrilja, Kravljačica Bay.
Hike to the peak of Kornati – Metlina 237 m
From Kravljačica bay, a marked path leads to the summit of Kornati. The peak is called Metlina and is located at 237 meters above sea level. This hike is particularly interesting because it is one of the few that can be started with an ascent from 0 meters above sea level and crosses the full height difference.
The hike takes about 30-40 minutes and the view from the top falls on the entire archipelago.
The second largest island of the Kornati group is the island of Žut. On this island, there are also several coves that are very tempting for swimming, and the most famous would definitely be Strunac cove and Jagodna cove. It is interesting that only 4 permanent residents live on this island.
Search for accommodation in the vicinity of Kornati – Pakoštane, Biograd na Moru, Šibenik or Zadar here:
*All photos and text of the article are the property of the author and may not be used without consultation. The text and photos are the author’s subjective impression of the destination and the expression of his own perception of situations and places.